The “waterfall” chart shows what percentage of disability claims were allowed and denied nationwide at each level of review. Social Security publishes this chart each year.
- 38% were allowed after an initial review of the application. That’s a bit more than last year.
- Just 15% of the claims appealed were allowed at Reconsideration. So 5 out of 6 were denied a second time.
- 51% were granted at the hearing level. This percentage is unchanged since last year.
- Of those unfavorable hearing decisions that were appealed, 84% were denied review by the Appeals Council, 12% were remanded, and 1% were allowed.
- And for those claims that went to federal court, 58% were remanded back to the Social Security Administration.