SSA has released the “waterfall” chart for fiscal year 2021.
The chart show what percentage of disability claims were granted and denied nationwide at each level of review:
- 36% were granted after an initial review of the application. That’s a bit more than 1 out of 3.
- Just 13% of the claims appealed were granted at Reconsideration. So 7 out of 8 were denied a second time.
- 51% were granted at the hearing level.
- Of those unfavorable hearing decisions that were appealed, 85% were denied at the Appeals Council.
- And for those claims that went to federal court, 59% were remanded.
The lesson is: appeal your disability claim if it is denied.